Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Part 2- What you should tell a new secretary

21. Files.

a. I like my pleadings files organized as shown in the office or secretary manual--only one row of tabs on the side, don't have proof of service as a separate tab, just on the bottom of the particular pleading. I like, if possible, a motion, opposition, and reply to be all in the same file--although I know sometimes this is not possible. Pleadings files should be labeled 1, 2, 3 etc.

b. On the day before a hearing, I like the file pulled, check to see if there is proof of service, and put on my desk. That way I don't panic trying to find a file 5 minutes before court.

c. I get off center if I can't find a file. Usually it's buried on my desk or at my house, so I try not to focus my frustration on my Assistant, but the fewer times this happens, the more I feel that my Assistant is really organized.

d. If a file gets too thick please make another file.

22. Clients. I really like you to know who my clients are and the status of their case. That really impresses me. It usually impresses them and I hear about how great my Assistant is from my clients. This makes me appreciate my Assistant.

23. New Clients. Please check conflicts before setting an appointment for a new client to come in and before you give me a phone message to return a new clients call. If a potential conflict does come back, when you send it to me via email, please say: “On the conflict check for (whomever), So and So came back as a client of M&A for 3 weeks in 1999. The file is currently closed (or open, whatever the case may be). All new clients that come into the office must fill out a New Client Information Form. Please make sure you get any referral information at that time also. (i.e. who referred them to this office). There is a $400.00 fee for Initial Consultations, although I sometimes waive this fee. After conflicts have been checked and a blue sheet has been completed, you must add the new client to my “Current Case List” which should be updated on a weekly basis.

24. Miscellaneous Inquiries and Correspondence. I like a file created called Miscellaneous Inquires- (year) and one called Miscellaneous Correspondence - (year). They should go to the file room at the end of February of the next year and new ones started for January 1, (year). Miscellaneous inquiries should also go on our billing computer as a cross reference in case another attorney starts to take a case for an adversary of the person I met with as a miscellaneous inquiry.

25. Case List. I would like for you to get a status report from each attorney I am supervising.

26. Rolodex. I keep all of my phone Contacts in Outlook. Periodically I will tell you to add or update t/p numbers or addresses of friends, family or other numbers that you might need or I have used in the past.

27. Things to Do List. When things start to get busy, I like you to have a yellow pad "things to do" list so I can go over the priorities periodically.

28. Vacation and Sick Days. Before you go on vacation or if you call in sick, please have someone handle these duties and send me an email or voicemail as to who you picked to:

a. answer my phones,

b. check my email,

c. check my voice mail,

d. check your voice mail,

e. open and sorting my mail,

f. check my calendar, scheduling appointments, etc.

29. Office Manual. Please read the office and secretary manual several times. They contain a lot of useful information.

30. Ask Questions. I am open to questions; even ones you might think are too trivial. I would rather spend the time to do things right the first time.

31. Helping Others. I appreciate it when you help other secretaries in the office. If you think there will be a conflict in getting my high priority work done as well as the other attorneys' work, please come discuss this with me so I can talk to the other attorney and he or she and I can prioritize our work.

32. Nose to the Grindstone. I get irritated when I perceive (whether based on the true facts or assumptions) that my Assistant is making too many personal phone calls or is having frequent and extended personal conversations with other co-workers. I will usually say “lets get back to work” before I come unglued.

33. Priorities. When things in the office get busy or I am preparing for trial, etc., I prefer my IN BOX to only contain P1s and P2s. All P3s should be kept at your desk until things slow down or I have a moment to review them.

34. Being out of the Office for Appointments, etc. Please send me an email that you are leaving for the afternoon or that you will be gone for awhile for a doctor/dentist appointment, etc. Do not assume that just because it was on Roll Call for that day I have seen that information. That, plus it is easy with so much going on during the day that I may have forgotten you have the appointment and need to be reminded. If your appointment is in the early morning and you will be in late, please call the receptionist and have her send me an email reminding me that you will be in late.

35. I like my secretary to be at her desk. If you have to be away from your desk for any extended length of time (to send a fax, meet a client in the lobby, etc.), please email me where you are going. Have the runners do as much of your large copy jobs and faxes as needed.

36. Following up. There is always follow up to do on files whether for Mediation/Arbitration which requires retainer fees, agreement execution, exhibit production, general compliance pursuant to agreement. Keep a tickle system to make sure all the follow ups are being met.

37. Naming Documents: When naming documents, I like the year-mo-day then whose document (not plaintiff or defendant-use their names) then the name of the document, e.g., 2009-03-14 Jones Motion to Consolidate.

38. New Duties. Let me know if you come across some things that I do or do not like so I can update this list periodically.

No comments:

Post a Comment